Cooking pork chops on a barbecue grill is quite an art. Producing a juicy and tender pork chop on the grill is not something to be taken lightly as it does require some skills and patience. At its best, pork cooked on charcoal is tender, juicy and deliciously smoky. The key to great pork cooked on charcoal is a long, slow cooking time with very little disruptions.
Simple Grilled Bone-in Rib Pork Chops
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
Pork chops marinate
- 2 pork chops, bone-in rib, about 10 ounce each
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons hot sauce, (Siracha sauce or Tabasco sauce)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Trim the excess meat and fat away from the ends of the chop bones. Rinse and pat dry, set aside.
- Combine hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, Siracha sauce, white and black pepper in a bowl. Whisk to mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Place pork chops in a ziploc freezer bag. Pour about 60% of marinade into the freezer bag over the pork chops. Coat the pork chops liberally with the marinade. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, or up to overnight. Reserve the remaining ( 40%) marinade to glaze the pork chops later.
- To grill the pork chops, first take the pork chops out from the refrigerator, drain and place on plate 1 hour before grilling and pat dry using paper towel. Discard the marinade.
- Lightly season them and you're free to cook it anyway you want. But traditionally, they are grilled over charcoal.
- So prepare an outdoor charcoal grill for high heat.
- Let the grilling grate heat up about 5 minutes. Then lightly oil the grilling grate.
- Grill the pork chops directly above the hot coal over high heat to sear the outside to get some nice browned grill marks, about 3 minutes each side.
- Then move the pork chops from directly above heat source. Continue cooking over indirect heat, brushing the remaining marinade on each side of the pork chops and cooked until no longer pink in the centre.
- Take the chops off the grill and serve after 5 minutes.
First trim off excess meat and fat away from the ends of the chop bones. Rinse and pat dry.
Place the pork chops in a ziploc freezer bag.
Prepare the ingredients to marinade the pork chops.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Whisk to mix thoroughly.
Pour about 60% of the marinade into the freezer bag over the pork chops. Reserve the balance of the marinade to glaze the chops later while grilling. Make sure the pork chops are thoroughly coated with the marinade. Squeeze out excess air and seal the freezer bag. Refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Take the pork chops out from refrigerator, drain and place on plate 1 hour before grilling. Discard the marinade. These pork chops are finally ready for the grill. Prepare the charcoal grill for HIGH HEAT grilling. Place the charcoal briquettes in the centre of the grill. Light the charcoal briquettes. Use a grilling tong to even out the heat. Place the grilling grate in its place. Let the grilling grate heat up for about 5 minutes. Lightly oiled the grilling grate. Grill the marinated pork chops uncovered directly above the hot coal over HIGH HEAT to sear the outside to get some nice browned grill marks, about 3 minutes each side. Turn the pork chops to sear the other side for another 3 minutes. Then move the hot coal away from the centre of the grill, to the 2 ends of the grill. Place the seared pork chops to continue grilling over INDIRECT HEAT in the centre of the grill. Brush the remaining marinade on each side of the pork chops. Cover and continue to grill for about 20 minutes. Turn the pork chops once. Brush the marinade one more time on the pork chops. Cover and grill for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the pork chops are no longer pink inside. Finally the pork chops are done. Take the pork chops off the grill and serve after 5 minutes. Garnish and serve the simple grilled pork chops with mashed potatoes as a side dish and a dipping sauce. AS ALWAYS ….. ENJOY!