These green tea pancakes are lovely, light and fluffy with a fairly strong green tea taste. They are perfect for breakfast, brunch or just plain old dessert. These matcha green tea pancakes are a great way to give this classic snack a Japanese twist.
Matcha Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, , 130g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar, , 28g
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk, , 240ml
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, 40g
- 2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- In a large bowl whisk together the DRY Ingredients: the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In another medium size bowl whisk together the WET ingredients: lightly beaten egg, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and then add all the wet egg mixture. Stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not OVERMIX. Otherwise the pancakes will be tough.
- Lightly mix in the matcha green tea powder.
- The pancake batter can be covered and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- The matcha green tea powder can also be added together with the DRY ingredients in step 1.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Lightly brush the pan with melted butter or spray with a non-stick spray.
- Using a small ladle, spoon about 1/4 cup pancake batter onto the hot pan. When the bottom of pancakes are brown and bubbles start to form on the top surface of pancakes (2-3 minutes), flip over.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Repeat with remaining batter, brushing with melted butter every now and then.
- Serve immediately with butter and jam.
To make pancake batter:
To fry the pancakes:
The matcha green tea powder can also be added together with the DRY ingredients in step 1.