Kuih Bingka Ubi ( Baked Tapioca Cake)
- 2 eggs
- 300 g sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 kg yellow tapioca, grated, at room temperature
- 4 pandan leaves, rinsed and drained
- 375 ml Thick coconut milk, undiluted, from 2 coconuts, at room temperature
- 125 ml water
- First, line a 23 x 5 cm square cake tin with banana leaf (oiled on shinny side). Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
- Peel tapioca tubers (1.3 kg) and *grate finely. The grated yellow tapioca should weigh 1kg. Place the grated tapioca in a strainer over a bowl. Leave for 30 mins to allow juices to drain into the bowl. Pour off the liquid in the bowl slowly, leaving behind the tapioca starch at the bottom of bowl.
- Put the strained tapioca into a large mixing bowl. Then add the reserved tapioca starch. Add sugar, beaten eggs and salt. Stir well until the sugar is dissolved. Knead, squeeze and twist pandan leaves into mixture till completely crushed. Then add in the coconut milk and water. Mix thoroughly. Discard the pandan leaves after that.
- Pour batter into cake tin in a circular motion as you pour. Smooth the top and make sure the batter is evenly mixed. Bake for about 1 1/4 hour or until top is golden brown. Do not over bake or the cake will be dry and tough.
- Remove cake from oven and cool on wire rack about 30 mins.Unmould and leave the cake on wire rack till cold.( about 1 hour). Using an oiled knife cut into neat cube or rectangle pieces. Serve at room temperature.
- Wrap and refrigerate.
- Cut and rebake till thoroughly heated and soft. Can serve hot or room temperature.
This is the cross- section after cutting with an oiled knife.