Homestyle vegetarian curry (家乡咖喱菜) is actually a curry vegetable dish, easily cooked at home. It consists of an assortment of vegetables cooked in coconut milk gravy. As I am cooking it as a vegetarian dish, I have omitted onions and garlic for this recipe. Beancurd puffs, beancurd skins and fried gluten balls added make the curry gravy taste so much sweeter and all the more wholesome. Can even be served as a one meal dish on a weekend with both steamed rice or fried rice vermicelli (fried meehoon).
This assorted vegetables curry dish is amazingly quick and easy to cook. The bulk of time used is cutting the vegetables into pieces and preparing the spices for the curry. Then cooked everything together to blend all the spice flavours and chilli paste with the cut fresh vegetables in a creamy coconut milk base. And we’re done! Certainly a super simple, veggie-packed curry that will please any crowd. So Enjoy!
Homestyle Vegetarian Curry 家乡咖喱菜
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 500 gram cabbage, cut into thick pieces
- 150 gram long beans, cut into long strips
- 150 gram brinjal, cut into thick pieces
- 300 gram Yam (Taro), skinned, cut into thick pieces
- 10 pieces beancurd puffs
- 10 pieces fried gluten balls
- 2 sheets beancurd skin
- 2 tbsp chili paste, 2 tbsp chilli powder + 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chilli boh
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 200 gram Thick coconut milk, from 1 coconut
- 5 cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
Blended Spice Paste:
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 50 gram galangal/lengkuas
- 10 gram turmeric/kunyit
- 5 pieces candlenuts/buah keras
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning/MSG
- Prepare all the vegetables needed to cook this curry dish.
- Wash and cut cabbage into thick pieces.
- Next, cut yam (taro) into big chunks.
- Also, skinned and cut brinjal into thick pieces.
- Wash and cut long beans into long strips.
- Prepare spices to be blended (lemongrass, galangal, turmeric and candlenuts)
- Clean, skinned and blend into a paste.
- Set aside the blended spice and pre-measure the rest of the ingredients for later use.
- Then boil some water in a wok and briefly blanch the beancurd puffs in the hot boiling water to remove excess oil, about 3 minutes.
- Remove with strainer and drained well.
- Next, blanch briefly the fried gluten balls to remove excess oil.
- Remove from wok and drained well for later use.
- Deep fry the dried beancurd skin, piece by piece, till just golden brown. Each piece takes less than a minute.
- Drained the fried beancurd skin on a tray lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Set aside for later use.
- Then heat up a little oil in a wok and stir fry the yam pieces until cooked.
- Next, stir fry the long bean until cooked.
- Also, stir fry the cut brinjal until cooked.
- Remove all the stir fried vegetables and drained well. Set aside for use later. And we're ready to cook the curry.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a wok.
- Add chilli paste, chilli boh and curry leaves. Stir fry until fragrant and oil floats to the surface.
- Add in the blended Spice and continue to stir fry over low heat until aromatic.
- While frying, stir in 3 tablespoons of the thick coconut milk. Continue to stir fry for a while, about 3 minutes.
- Then add in cabbage, beancurd puffs and gluten balls. Fry to combine everything together.
- Next, add in the thick coconut milk.
- Followed by 5 cups of water.
- Bring the coconut milk and water to a boil.
- Next, add in the cooked brinjal, yam and long beans. Stir fry to combine everything together.
- Then, add in the fried beancurd skin.
- Lastly add in all seasonings, to taste. Add in sugar.
- Then, add in salt.
- Next, add in soy sauce.
- For extra flavour, add in mushroom seasoning or you can add MSG.
- Bring everything to a boil again. And we're done!
- The vegetarian curry is now ready to be served. This curry with vegetables goes very well with both rice and fried rice vermicelli (fried meehoon). As always, ENJOY!