This recipe uses a whole fish, fried until crispy and then covered with a sweet, sour and spicy sauce made of sugar, kaffir lime juice, fish sauce and chilies. The crunch of the crispy skin is a wonderful contrast to the delicate flesh of the white fish within.
Deep Fried Fish Thai Style
- 600 gm whole fish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 cups oil, for deep frying fish
- 1 cucumber, shredded
Sauce: (mixed together)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or kaffir lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 3 bird's eye chili, or chili padi
- 1 red chili, shred thinly
- 1 stalk coriander leaf, chopped
- Clean and wash fish, rinse and drained well. "Butterfly" the fish ( split fish using sharp knife ).
- Rub salt all over the fish.
- Coat fish with cornflour on both sides of fish ( inside of meat and outside of skin ).
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy. Dish out and drained on paper towel.
- Line shredded cucumber on a serving plate.
- Put the fried fish on top.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the fish.
- Garnish with slices of kaffir lime and coriander leaves. Serve immediately.