Chinese Steamed Pumpkin Kuih 蒸金瓜糕
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 500 g pumpkin, shredded
- 200 g meat, chicken or pork , seasoned with salt and pepper, diced
- 100 g dried prawns, soaked 10 minutes, coarsely chopped
- 4 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked and diced
- 150 g preserved turnip, tai tau choi, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500 g rice flour
- 75 g tapioca flour
- 1000 ml water, adjust to texture
- ½ teaspoon alkaline water
- 1 tablespoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1 dash pepper
- Mix the seasonings with rice flour, tapioca flour, alkali water and water till a watery batter. Stir well and strained. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, sauté the garlic and shallots till golden brown. Add in dried prawns. Fry till fragrant. Add the meat, shitake mushrooms and chopped preserved turnips. Fry till cooked. Next add in pumpkin and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Pour in the watery batter and cook mixture for a few minutes over low heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture turns to a thick paste.
- Pour the paste into the oiled cake tin. Smoothen the surface with a spatula. Place it in the steamer and steam over high heat for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake and allow it to cool thoroughly before cutting into pieces.
- Garnish with fried shallots, chopped spring onions and red chillies on top.
- Serve with chilli sauce.