A Simple Classic Fried Rice
This is a classic Chinese Egg Fried Rice recipe (蛋炒饭), made in chinese restaurant style but in the comfort of your own home. It is a quick and simple fried rice dish that is extremely easy to prepare. Only 2 eggs, some onions and light seasonings are all that you need. Tastes superb as a simple meal on its own too.
The most important thing is to make sure the rice is cooked, cooled and clump-free, so that it will not stick together during the frying process. Of course, its a great way to use up leftover rice as well.
A Plate Of Great Fried Rice
Great fried rice should have individual grains of rice that barely clump together when scooped up with a spoon. It should have the unmistakable signature chewy-tender texture. This simple Chinese egg fried rice dish is fried to accomplish just that level of perfection.
The Signature Aroma For A Chinese Fried Rice Dish: Wok Hei 镬气, Breath of Wok
The rice needs to be lightly tossed in the wok, for every grain of rice to be fried and infused with a good ‘wok hei’ taste. After lightly seasoning with salt, ground white pepper and light soy sauce, the rice is mixed together with the soft scrambled eggs. For best results, a carbon steel wok is used for frying this dish as it really brings out the “wok” flavour, which is the signature aroma for any Chinese fried rice dish. This tastes just like what you’ll get at your favourite Chinese restaurant.
Chinese Egg Fried Rice 蛋炒饭
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 1 big onion, diced
- 2 stalks spring onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- To start, have ready 3 cups of cooked and cooled rice (preferably left overnight). Also 3 eggs, spring onion, oil and seasonings.
- Wet your fingers and run through the rice to remove any clumps.
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Then, dice one big onion and chop some fresh spring onions. And we're ready to fry the rice!
- On high setting, heat up 2 tbsp oil in wok until very hot. Swirl in the oil to coat the bottom of wok. You will actually see smoke coming out of the wok.
- Add in eggs and scramble until egg is just set. Do not overcook the eggs.
- Dish up and set aside the scrambled eggs.
- Reheat the wok. Turn the stove burner to as high as it will go.
- Add in the cooked rice. Fry the rice for about 1-2 minutes until heated through. Use the back of the ladle to gently tap and break up rice or any clumps.
- Next, add in the diced onions and continue to stir fry, mixing well.
- Then, add in the scrambled eggs.
- Keep stirring until the rice is evenly cooked and coated with eggs, about 2 minutes. Constantly turn the rice, otherwise the rice will burn.
- Add in salt and give it a quick mix.
- Then, sprinkle some ground white pepper and give another quick mix.
- Next, pour in the soy sauce around the edges of wok and give it a quick stir fry.
- Lastly, add in the chopped spring onion. Continue to stir fry until well combined.
- Dish up and garnish with more spring onions, red chillies and fried shallots. And it's ready to be served. Enjoy!