Pattaya Fried Rice: A South East Asian Version of Omu Rice
Fried rice always makes for an easy and tasty one meal dish. And what a pleasant treat indeed if the fried rice is served wrapped in an egg omelette. Yes, this amazing fried rice wrapped in egg is known as Pattaya Fried Rice or popularly known as Nasi Goreng Pattaya by Malaysians. It is a delicious Asian dish and is similar to Omurice, which is the Japanese version of this fried rice dish.
Delicious Fried Rice, Wrapped In A Fluffy Omelette
This simple dish features fried rice with tomato sauce chicken, wrapped in a soft egg omelette parcel. Pattaya fried rice is simply great for so many reasons. It looks great, is filling enough for any meal and super tasty too. Fried rice really does taste better this way, with a fluffy piece of omelette with every single bite of rice. As always, Enjoy!
Pattaya Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng Pattaya) 芭堤雅炒饭 (蛋包饭)
Ingredients for Fried Rice:
- 2 cups rice, preferably cold and overnight rice
- 100 grams boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 100 grams shrimps, peeled
- 1 Carrot, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Seasonings for chicken meat:
- 1/4 tsp salt
Seasonings for Fried Rice:
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
Ingredients for one omelette:
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour, or potato starch
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 red chili, cut into long stripes
- Slice shallots and mince garlic. Cut chicken meat and carrots into small cubes. Peel fresh shrimps.
- Cut a tomato, cucumber and chili as garnishing. And we're ready to fry the rice!
- To start, wet your fingers and run through the cooled cooked rice to remove clumps.
- On highest heat, heat up 2 tbsp oil in wok until very hot. Swirl in the oil to coat the bottom of wok. You will see smoke coming out of the wok.
- Add in minced garlic and sliced shallots. Stir fry until lightly brown and fragrant.
- Then, add in chicken meat and carrot. Continue frying until carrot is soft and the meat is just cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Add in tomato ketchup.
- Followed by fish sauce and salt, to taste. Lightly mix till well coated.
- Toss in shrimp and stir fry till shrimp just turn pink.
- Add in the rice.
- Continue to stir fry and toss until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Dish out and pack the fried rice into bowls. Set aside and we're ready to make the omelette to wrap the fried rice.
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl. Add seasonings and cornstarch solution. Using a whisk, beat till well mixed.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and swirl the pan by the handle to make an omelette as thin and large as possible. On low heat, cook for 20 seconds.
- Then off the heat and leave the omelette covered for another 1 minute.
- And we're done! The omelette should be about 90% cooked. At this point, we're ready to wrap the fried rice.
- When omelette is almost cooked, quickly place fried rice in the centre.
- Fold the 4 edges of omelette to wrap the rice.
- Place a flat serving plate over the wrapped omelette and carefully flip it over.
- Top with garnishing and drizzle some ketchup or chili sauce over the top before serving. Enjoy!