Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls 越南春卷
Meat and shrimp Ingredients
- 300 gram chicken meat, sliced/diced
- 2 tsp sugar, marinate meat
- 1 tsp soya sauce, marinate meat
- 1 tsp pepper, marinate meat
- 200 gram shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 gram rice vermicelli, soaked and cooked
- 6 cups water
Peanut sauce Ingredients
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp peanut butter, creamy
- 1 tbsp peanut, roasted and ground
- 1 tsp garlic chili sauce, optional
Fish sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 2 lime, freshly squeezed juice
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp bird eye's chili, chopped
Spring rolls Ingredients
- 5 cups warm water
- 1 packet rice paper
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 Carrot, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh lettuce, washed and drained
- 1 bunch thai basil leaves, washed and drained
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and drained
- 1 bunch mint, washed and drained
- 1 packet garlic chives, washed, cut long
- To make vietnamese spring rolls, start by cooking the meat and shrimp. Slice the chicken meat, peeled and deveined the shrimp.
- Marinate the sliced meat with sugar, soy sauce and white pepper for at least an hour.
- Then pan fry the meat on lightly oiled wok or pan, caramelize with some dark soy sauce.
- Set aside the pan fried meat for later use.
- Next, boil salt water on high heat in a small pan. Then add in shrimp, reduce heat to medium and allow the shrimp to simmer for 2 -3 minutes or until pink and cooked through.
- Remove the shrimp and allow to cool. Then slice the shrimp in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Next, prepare the noodles. Briefly soaked rice vermicelli noodles in water.
- Then cook the rice vermicelli noodles in a wok of boiling water for about 3 minutes, or until al dente.
- Remove, rinse in cold water and drained.
- Set aside the cooked noodles.
- Then prepare ingredients to make the smooth peanut sauce.
- Heat up oil in the pan and fry garlic until lightly golden brown.
- Then add in water.
- And the sugar.
- Followed by hoisin sauce.
- And the creamy peanut butter.
- Stir all ingredients together on low heat until the sauce becomes smooth and shiny.
- Finally turn off the heat and turn the sauce onto serving bowl, garnish with ground roasted peanut and garlic chili sauce (optional). Then set aside.
- Next prepare ingredients to make the other sauce, the sweet and sour fish sauce.
- In a bowl of hot water, add in sugar and mix to dissolve the sugar.
- Then add in fish sauce and minced garlic. Squeeze in fresh lime juice and chopped bird eye's chilies.
- Mix everything together, adjust to taste and set aside.
- Lastly, prepare ingredients to wrap the spring rolls.
- First dip the rice paper evenly in warm water and shake off all the excess water.
- Put the damp rice paper on a plate or flat surface.
- Next, put the fresh vegetables, herbs and noodles on one row, the pan fried meat on the second row and the sliced shrimp on the third row.
- Roll the spring roll up tightly.
- And before you get to the end (before the shrimp), fold up one side of the wrap and add in one garlic chive.
- Continue to roll it up and seal it at the end. And we're done!
- Serve these fresh spring rolls with the peanut dipping sauce that you made earlier.
- These spring rolls are also good with the sweet and sour light fish sauce too. So Enjoy!