A basic soda bread contains just 4 ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. However, this plain soda bread has been transformed into a lovely golden brown soda bread with raisins by adding a touch of sugar, some golden raisins and butter. The creamy texture of the buttermilk makes this soda bread all so tender. This soda bread is best made the day before or several hours before serving as it tastes best after sitting for a few hours.
Soda Bread with Raisins 葡萄干苏打面包
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, 375g
- 4 tbsp sugar, 50g
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup melted butter, 56g, 4 tbsp
- ½ cup raisins, soaked with warm water, drained
- First have ready all the ingredients needed to make this bread.
- Preheat oven to 165 degree C (325 degree F).
- Then grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with melted butter or baking spray and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sifted flour.
- Then add in the baking powder.
- Followed by sugar.
- And salt as well as baking soda.
- Using a whisk, mix all the dry flour ingredients together.
- Then add in the raisins.
- Mix the raisins into the flour mixture and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, lightly beat in one egg.
- Then gradually add in the buttermilk.
- Whisk the egg and buttermilk together until well combined.
- Pour the WET egg and buttermilk mixture all at once into the DRY flour mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir the batter until it's just moistened.
- Then stir in the melted butter. Blend the batter well but do not over mix.
- Pour the moistened batter into the prepared loaf pan. Leave to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. This can create an airier loaf.
- Then place the loaf pan into the preheated oven.
- Bake for about 65 to 70 minutes until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf pan from oven to cool on wire rack.
- Then remove the bread from loaf pan onto cooling rack.
- Wrap the loaf with foil and set aside overnight for the best flavour.
- This loaf of soda bread has a dense consistency with a tender, slightly moist interior and is a perfect choice for serving with soup, chili or stew.
- This soda bread has such a soft, moist and crumbly texture and is absolutely perfect when sliced and spread with butter too.