Stir fry savory turnip fillings is just so versatile. It can be used as fillings for not only homemade pau but also steam yambean dumplings (Chai Kuih). These savory turnip fillings can also be improvised into snacks like fried spring roll when wrapped with popiah skin and pie tee (a nyonya delight) when filled into pie tee shells. It’s also delicious eaten with rice, porridge or wrapped in lettuce leaves as a salad. The good news is, this can be cooked beforehand, cooled and leave in the refrigerator until needed.
There is also an all-vegetable version of this recipe, which can be found here.
This versatile dish can be used for the following recipes:
Stir Fry Savory Turnip Fillings
- 1 kg turnip , jicama/yam bean, choose small ones, julienned
- 100 g french beans, sliced thinly
- 100 g carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup cuttlefish strips, soaked and cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- 1/2 cup dried prawns, wash, soak in hot water, drain, chop
- 100 g meat , optional, diced
- 10 dried chinese mushrooms, soaked and diced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil, to stir fry fillings
- 1 tsp chicken stock
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp salt, adjust to taste
- First prepare the ingredients. Chop garlic, cut mushrooms and meat (optional) into small cubes, julienned carrots.
- And of course, cut or julienned the turnips (star of this dish).
- Heat up oil, sauté minced garlic till fragrant.
- Add chopped dried prawns and fry over medium high heat until golden brown.
- Then add in the cut mushroom followed by light soy sauce and stir fry until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Next add the minced meat (optional) and mix until well combined.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of chinese five spice powder and mix well with the minced meat and cut mushroom.
- Next add in the julienned turnips. Stir fry till heated through.
- Add in sugar and continue to stir fry, about 10 minutes.
- Then add in ground white pepper, chicken stock granules and salt, to taste. Mix until well combined.
- Lastly, add in julienned carrots, french beans for colour and cuttlefish for extra flavour.
- Stir fry to mix thoroughly, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- And we're done! Dish up and transfer to a casserole and when cooled, put in the fridge until needed.