Old Cucumber Soup
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 Chinese old cucumber, small to medium sized
- 1.3 litres Water
- 10 Red dates
- 6 Dried scallops
- 200 g Pork ribs, or Chicken Whole Legs
- 1 Dried cuttlefish
- 1 Sweet corn, cut to small pieces
- 1 Carrot, medium sized, peeled and cut
- Salt, to taste
- Scrub the skin of old cucumber, clean and cut it in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Cut into smaller pieces.
- In a small pot, blanch the pork ribs/ chicken meat in boiling water for a few minutes ( so as to remove the scum bits ). Drain the ribs/ meat and set aside.
- In a soup pot, add old cucumber pieces, blanched ribs/ chicken, water, dates, dried scallops, dried cuttlefish, sweet corn and carrots.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer the soup over low heat for about 40 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- I used a pressure cooker to boil this soup.
- Step 1 and 2 remains the same.
- In a pressure cooker, add the old cucumber pieces, blanched ribs/ chicken, water, dates, dries scallops, dried cuttlefish, sweet corn, carrots and salt. Then close the lid tightly.
- Bring to a boil ( high heat ). When pressure cooker sounds, reduce heat to low and cook for another 15 minutes. Then turn off the heat. Wait for pressure to release and it’s ready to be served.