Homestyle marmite chicken (家香妈蜜鸡) involves deep-frying large pieces of chicken and then coating them with a very thick, sticky and sweet Marmite sauce. This Marmite sauce makes a great glaze and adds a tangy, sweet yet savoury taste to the crispy fried chicken. Every bite of the chicken is so flavourful, juicy and delicious.
This dish is best served with steamed rice. It also makes quick and easy one-dish meal which can save time and effort, especially for those who has a busy schedule. It makes serving lunch or dinner such a snap!
Marmite Chicken With Steamed White Rice
Marmite Chicken With Steamed Brown Rice
Homestyle Marmite Chicken
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 2 chicken whole legs, 500g
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 5 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tsp marmite
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- First wash, rinse and drain well the chicken. Then cut into big pieces.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt for at least 30 minutes.
- Then place the pieces of chicken in a big bowl.
- Using an egg separator, separate the yolk from the whites and slightly beat the whites.
- Add the beaten egg whites into the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Then add in potato starch.
- Coat the chicken evenly with the potato starch. And we're ready to deep fry them.
- To fry the chicken, first heat up enough oil in wok over medium high heat. Test to make sure oil is ready by dipping a wooden chopstick into the hot oil. Bubbles will appear around the chopstick when oil is ready to be used.
- Working in batches, deep-fry chicken pieces until golden brown and cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a strainer, remove the fried chicken from the hot oil.
- Drained the fried chicken on paper towel and set aside.
- Prepare ingredients to make the sauce.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients, except water in a bowl and stir till the Marmite is dissolved.
- To cook the sauce, first heat up water in wok or pan over medium high heat.
- Pour in the sauce mixture.
- Mix well and cook the sauce mixture till slightly boiled and starts to thicken.
- Quickly add in the deep fried chicken.
- Stir fry until sauce dries up and toss everything together until the fried chicken are evenly coated in the sauce.
- Dish out and serve hot with steamed rice.