Fried Chicken Korean Style is a popular Korean specialty. It can be consumed as a meal, finger food or after meal snack. Double frying the chicken wings make all the difference and is the secret to achieving the seriously thin crispy crust that is the hallmark of this popular Korean favourite. After being doubled fried, the fried chicken wings are then lightly tossed in a sweet, slightly spicy and garlicky glaze while still hot. Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, these chicken wings are extremely easy to make and it’s super addictive.
Fried Chicken Korean Style 韩国炸鸡
- 1 kg chicken wings, washed, drained and cut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup cornstarch, can also use potato starch
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 dried red chili pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted for garnish.
- 2 cups peanut oil, enough for frying.
- First, wash and drain well the chicken wings. Cut off the tip of each wing and cut the wing in half.
- Season the well drained chicken wings with salt, minced ginger and ground black pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinade in the refrigerator preferably overnight. This not only seasons the chicken but helps to dry moisture from the chicken making it easier to crisp.
- When about to fry the seasoned chicken wings, coat them one at a time with potato starch or cornstarch making sure each of the wings are evenly and well coated.
- To fry the chicken wings, first heat up the cooking oil in a frying pan or pot for about 7 to 8 minutes over high heat. Then add in the coated wings, one at a time.
- Cook over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning the chicken wings a few times with tongs.
- Remove the fried chicken wings with a strainer.
- Transfer the fried chicken wings to drain on kitchen paper towels and let them sit for a few minutes.
- Reheat the oil over high heat and REFRY the wings for another 8 to 10 minutes until they are thoroughly cooked through, has turned golden brown and feel super crunchy with the tongs.
- Remove the crunchy fried chicken using the same strainer.
- Transfer the chicken wings onto strainer lined with kitchen paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- While the chicken wings are being fried, proceed to make the sweet and spicy glaze. Heat up oil on a non-stick skillet. Add minced garlic and red chili pepper and fry till aromatic.
- Add in corn syrup.
- Then add in vinegar.
- Followed by dijon mustard.
- Also add in the soy sauce.
- Stir and cook until it bubbles.
- Lastly add in brown sugar and continue stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the chicken is done, reheat the sweet, spicy and garlicky sauce until it bubbles. Then add in the hot crispy chicken wings.
- Lightly toss to ensure all the fried chicken wings are evenly coated with the glaze.
- Lastly add in some toasted sesame seeds. And we're done!
- Remove from heat, transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.