A Delicious Tofu Dish With Great Thai Flavours
Beancurd, also known as Tofu 豆腐, is a popular food component in Asian cuisines. They can be soft, semi-soft and firm. This beancurd recipe makes use of fried beancurd. Upon frying, the white smooth beancurd is transformed into golden, spongy goodness infused with intense Thai flavours. Any way you cook it, beancurd is remarkably nutritious and healthy too.
Fried Beancurd with the Fragrance of Kaffir Leaves, Lime Juice And Lemongrass
This Thai style fried beancurd dish is extremely easy to make and delicious, not to mention healthy. It has a little bit of heat and is very taste-bud tantalising. Kaffir lime leaves, lime juice and lemongrass give this fried beancurd such a fresh, Thai-inspired flavour. Who says beancurd has to be boring? The recipe can be whipped up in a jiffy, so it makes a great weekday as well as weekend meal. Best served with hot jasmine rice.
As always, ENJOY!
Thai Style Fried Beancurd 泰式炸豆腐
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 4 blocks beancurd, semi-hard white beancurd
- 100 grams meat, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil, to deep fry beancurd
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, shred
- 1 lemongrass, chopped finely
- 3 bird's eye chilies, diced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water, or chicken broth
- First, cut the beancurd into bite sized pieces. Then season with salt.
- Next, peel and chop shallot.
- Mince some lean meat.
- Remove tough outer leaves and finely chop the inner tender portion of a lemongrass.
- Discard the centre tough rib and finely shred kaffir lime leaves with a sharp knife. Choose the more tender leaves for more flavour. (See how to shred kaffir lime leaves here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ziWQBhUbk)
- Deseed and chop bird eye's chilies. And we're ready to cook the dish!
- First, heat up enough oil in a wok and deep fry beancurd till golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Dish up and drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Retain a little oil in wok and saute all the spice ingredients till aromatic.
- Add in mince meat and stir fry till about cooked.
- Then, quickly add in water and seasonings and bring to a boil. Add a little salt, to taste.
- Lastly, add in the fried beancurd and stir to mix well. And we're done!
- Serve immediately with steamed rice. So Enjoy!