A Classic Chinese Dessert: Steamed Egg Pudding 炖蛋
Steamed egg pudding (香滑炖蛋) is a delicious and comfort Chinese dessert. It was my most favourite treat growing up, as my mum always made this for us everytime we yearn for a sweet dessert. She told us that the silky smooth custard will give us smooth and silky skin. We totally believed and had been addicted to this dessert ever since.
A Popular Dessert Served in Hong Kong Restaurants
This Hong Kong style steamed egg pudding is a popular dessert served in Hong Kong restaurants too. This is truly a great homemade dessert. More so when you want to impress your family and guests during dinner parties. You won’t believe how simple and easy it is until you have actually made it.
This Steamed Egg Pudding is Delicious, Yet Simple To Make
To make this wonderful custard pudding, just mix all the ingredients and gently steamed till set. The key lies in using fresh eggs and milk, with a medium high heat.
Then voilà, silky smooth steamed egg pudding fresh from your kitchen. Serve it hot or cold, either way it tastes great. So enjoy!
Steamed Egg Pudding 香滑炖蛋布丁
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 4 eggs, A size
- 2 cup fresh milk, 500ml
- 120 gram rock sugar
- 1/2 cup water, 125ml
- Prepare and measure all of the ingredients.
- Boil rock sugar and water on low heat until the sugar dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Once sugar has dissolved, off the flame. Then add in the fresh milk and quickly remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Using a fork, beat the eggs gently but thoroughly. Do not use an electric mixer as this will create too much foams or bubbles which will prevent the surface of pudding from being smooth.
- Add in the milk mixture.
- Stir to mix well.
- Strain the egg mixture through a sieve to remove bubbles formed through mixing.
- Gently pour egg mixture into steaming bowls to avoid creating any foams or bubbles. You should get 3 to 4 bowls, depending on size.
- Use a spoon to remove any small bubbles, if any, on the surface of the egg mixture.
- Then cover the bowls tightly with cling wrap or foil.
- Meanwhile prepare steamer by bringing water to a boil.
- Place the steaming bowls onto steamer.
- Cover and steam them for 12 minutes on medium high heat, or until the egg custard is set. While steaming, lift the lid up a bit and let some steam to escape. if possible every 4 minutes.
- And we're done!
- Serve them either hot or cold. Enjoy!