This is a very simple dish that goes so well with a bowl of hot steamed rice. This is super fast to prepare too. The silky tofu is first steamed and then topped with a savoury yet fragrant topping of fried shallots, hot shallot oil, some seasoning and sautéed dried shrimps. For this dish, use the plain tofu i.e. the one without egg. The rather bland tasting tofu is the perfect backdrop for the rather savoury toppings and gives a good contrast in texture and flavour with every mouthful.
Steam Bean Curd With Hot Shallot Oil
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 1 piece soft tofu, use the plain tofu, bean curd
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimps, soaked and drained
- 1 tablespoon spring onion, chopped
- Seasoning Mix In A Bowl:
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 100 ml water
- ½ teaspoon chicken stock granules
- Steam tofu at high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from steamer, pour away excess water.
- While tofu is been steamed, heat up some oil in a wok and fry the dried shrimps until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up 2 tablespoon oil and sauté sliced shallots until fragrant. Pour fried shallots and shallot oil directly over the steamed tofu.
- Next bring the seasoning mixture in the wok to a boil. Then pour over the steamed tofu with shallots and oil. Garnish with chopped spring onion and sautéed dried prawns on top.
- Serve hot with steam rice.
To steam tofu with shallot oil:
First place a block of plain, soft tofu on a steaming plate.
Prepare and cut all ingredients needed: oil, dried shrimps, sliced shallots and chopped onions.
Prepare seasoning for the tofu: oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, chicken granules and water.
Mix the seasoning in a bowl.
Steam tofu at high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from steamer, pour away excess water and set aside.
While the tofu is steaming, heat up some oil and fry dried shrimps until golden brown in colour.
Drain and set aside.
In the same wok, heat up oil and sauté sliced shallots until fragrant.
Pour fried shallots and hot shallot oil over the tofu.
Heat up the seasoning mixture and bring to a boil.
Pour the seasoning mixture over the tofu. Then top with the fried dried shrimps.
Garnish with the chopped spring onions and serve immediately with hot steamed rice.
AS ALWAYS … ENJOY!