A Traditional Delicacy That Brings Back Memories: Paper Wrapped Chinese Sponge Cake 纸包蛋糕
This petite looking cup-shaped paper wrapped Chinese sponge cake is simply irresistible. Also known as 纸包蛋糕 or Paper Wrapped Cake, this cake is a classic sponge cake, most popular in Hong Kong. These cakes have a traditional look, just like the ones sold in the Asian-style bakery shops.
Soft, Fluffy and Filled With Eggy Goodness
These paper wrapped cakes have a traditional taste as well and the unmistakably eggy aroma of fresh eggs. It’s not greasy and not too dense. It is light, soft, pillowy and tastes absolutely delicious. Just perfect for tea-time or a whole day snack. Above all, these cakes are extremely easy to make.
Delicious and Super Easy To Make Too
Unlike most other cake recipes, this traditional sponge cake does not have any leavening such as baking powder. Hence it is suited for those who do not like leavening agent in their baking. Just make sure the eggs are well beaten and they will act as leavening for the cake batter to rise when baked in the oven. Also be sure not to mix too much when folding the whipped egg whites into the egg batter, as this will deflate bubbles from the eggs.
Gently transfer the cake batter into paper-lined muffin cups, fill till almost full and bake till the top turns golden brown. You will surely be pleasantly surprised when these cute cup-shaped soft and fluffy cakes are removed from the oven. Looking at these super soft and moist paper-wrapped chinese sponge cakes certainly brings back a lot of old taste and childhood memories.
As always, Enjoy!
Paper Wrapped Chinese Sponge Cake 纸包蛋糕
- 5 eggs
- 50 grams butter, melted
- 60 ml milk, room temperature
- 100 grams all-purpose flour, sifted
- 80 grams sugar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla essence
- First preheat oven to 180 degree C. Then line muffin pan with parchment paper.
- Separate yolks and whites of eggs. Add vanilla into egg yolks and whisk till combined. Then set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, combine melted butter and milk. Mix with a whisk. Then sieve in all-purpose flour. Continue to mix well.
- Add in the egg yolk mixture. Mix again till smooth and set aside.
- Next, beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with low speed until bubbles formed. Then, add sugar a little at a time (3 portions) and beat until stiff peaks formed.
- Then lightly fold the beaten egg whites in 3 portions into the egg batter. Pour the combined batter into the lined muffin pan till 3/4 full.
- Next, bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Once cooked, remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Lastly remove the baked sponge cake to cool completely on wire rack.
- Serve these super soft and fluffy chinese sponge cake for afternoon tea or anytime you desire. SO ENJOY!