#Pavlova: A classic #meringue dessert
Pavlova is a classic meringue dessert that has a light and delicate crispy crust with a soft and sweet marshmallow centre. It is typically served with whipped cream and fresh fruits. This elegant dessert is believed to have been created in honour of a Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova, during one of her tours to Australia and New Zealand in 1926. Hence the name, PAVLOVA.
Pandan Pavlova with an Asian twist
This Pandan Pavlova recipe is a light meringue dessert with an Asian twist. Instead of vanilla extract, we use pandan extract. This adds to the pavlova an aromatic piney flavour, as well as an attractive pastel green colour. The topping of mango slices makes for a sumptuous tropical look while fresh kiwi helps to offset the sweetness of the meringue, making this lovely dessert tastes divine.
AS ALWAYS, ENJOY!
A special thanks to my very special guest from Australia, Steve Owen from Steve’s Kitchen for showing me how to bake this lovely meringue dessert. Thank you so much Steve for sharing this amazing recipe with Huang Kitchen.
- 6 eggs, separate and use the egg whites
- 340 grams sugar, superfine (castor) sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp pandan extract
- 300 ml fresh cream, heavy whipping cream, whipped till stiff
- 2 mangoes, sliced into pieces
- 3 kiwi, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 120 degree C / 250 degree F. Place rack in the centre of oven.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites and place in a bowl.
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl using an electric mixer until a light and soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in the sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and green pandan extract.
- Continue to whisk until the meringue is thick, silky and fairly firm.
- You should be able to hold the bowl upside down without the meringue falling out.
- Scoop the meringue mixture onto the lined baking sheet. Smoothen the edges, making sure they are slightly higher than the centre. You want a slight indentation in the centre for the whipped cream and fruits.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until dry and is firm to touch but not browned.
- Once cooked, turn oven off, leave the oven door slightly ajar and let the meringue cool completely. Once done, transfer to serving plate.
- Meanwhile, skin fresh mango skin and cut into thick slices.
- Then, skin fresh kiwi fruits and cut into cubes.
- Whip up fresh cream using an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Now, we're ready to put everything together!
- Spread a nice thick layer of whipped cream onto the top of the cooled pavlova.
- Decorate the top with the sliced mangoes and kiwi cubes. And we're done!
- Serve this pavlova dessert immediately! This dessert does not hold for more than a few hours. Do not refrigerate as the meringue will soften. As always, ENJOY!