Truly A Christmas Classic Recipe: Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread cookies are such a Christmas classic and they always get us feeling so festive and merry. In fact, Christmas baking just wouldn’t seem complete without these richly spiced amazing cookies. The combination of the warm spices of ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and sweet molasses make this cookie as fragrant as it is delicious. They are JUST right for the holiday season!
A Super Easy Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
This is an extremely easy gingerbread cookie recipe. The dough is very easy to work with using any cookie cutter and it doesn’t need a long time to chill. You can make these cookies into any festive shapes including of course, the gingerbread men. Molasses used gives the cookies a dark, thick, beautiful and glossy colour. It also adds a sweet flavour and keeps the cookies so moist. Of course, your kitchen will be filled with the best-ever aroma from these warm and spicy gingerbread cookies. So, make and share this wonderful gingerbread cookies with your loved ones this coming Christmas.
As always, ENJOY!
Gingerbread Cookies 姜饼曲奇
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 390 grams all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 113 grams butter, room temperature
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 160 ml molasses
- Start by making the dough. In a large bowl, mix all-purpose flour with salt and baking soda.
- Then add all the warm spices. Using a whisk, mix to ensure everything is combined together. Then, set aside while we prepare the wet ingredients.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter till soft, creamy and smooth.
- Then add granulated white sugar and on medium heat, beat till light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides.
- Next, beat in an egg.
- Then add in molasses.
- Beat molasses into the egg batter.
- Then, gradually add in the flour mixture in batches, beating well after each addition.
- Beat till incorporated and then prepare to chill the dough till quite firm as we need to roll it out.
- First, place the dough on a counter top and gather the dough into a ball. Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least two hours or even overnight).
- Place each half in the centre of plastic/cling wrap, make into a circle and flatten a little. Then wrap the dough with the cling wrap. Then chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
- When the dough has chilled, flour the counter surface and rolling pin. Then roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly flour a gingerbread cutter.
- Press down the cutter into the mould and remove the cookie. Continue to cut some more cookies from the dough.
- Place the cookies onto a lined baking sheet, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Then place baking sheet (with cookies) in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. This will prevent the cookies from losing their shape.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degree C and place rack in centre of oven.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes (depending on the size of the cookies). They are done when the cookies are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minute.
- Then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. And we're done! Store in an airtight container.