These Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs are extremely delicious. Stuffed with a delicious filling made of minced meat, fish paste and dried scallops, then deep fried until golden brown and crispy. Great as a finger food, or served in a gravy broth as a main dish.
Watch How To Make Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs – Recipe Video
Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs: An Inventive Way To Use Tofu Puffs
If you have tofu puffs in hand, and you like something crispy and look inviting, this Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puff is the perfect dish to make. These crispy deep fried tofu puffs are extremely delicious with the tofu skin intentionally turned inside out to give the tofu puffs the extra crisp. The tofu puffs are stuffed with minced meat and fish paste filling together with umami taste from the dried scallop.
This is a very versatile dish, as it can be served as a finger food, snack or appetizer with chilli sauce dipping. Also perfect, served with a savoury sauce over the tofu puffs as a main dish for lunch or dinner. Be sure to make more pieces as I am sure anyone who takes a bite into one tofu puffs will surely ask for more. Best part is these fried tofu puffs stay crispy for a long while after deep fried. It is just absolutely delicious!
What are Tofu Puffs?
Tofu Puffs are deep fried tofu in the shape of cubes, triangles or rectangles. This variant of tofu is also known as Tofu Pok (豆腐卜). They are soft, puffy, very chewy and with a spongy texture. Tofu Puff is often used as a meat substitute in vegan or vegetarian dishes due to its high protein profile and meaty texture. It is available in all wet markets and grocery stores. You can get it in Asian supermarkets, most likely in the refrigerated section. Otherwise you can also make them at home using fresh tofu.
What are Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs?
These Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs are made using fresh tofu puffs. A cut is first made on the tofu puff and the tofu puff skin is turned inside out. Minced meat, fish paste and rehydrated dried scallops are combined together into a thick paste with seasonings and stuffed into the prepared tofu puffs. They are then deep fried until golden brown and crispy. Drain from oil and serve hot with chilli sauce, as a finger food or serve in a gravy broth as a main dish.
Ingredients You Need To Make Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs
- Tofu Puffs
- Minced Meat
- Fish Paste
- Dried Scallop
- Light Soy Sauce (seasoning)
- Oyster Sauce (seasoning)
- Chinese Rice Wine (seasoning)
- Ground White Pepper (seasoning)
- Cornstarch (seasoning)
- Sesame Oil (seasoning)
- Salt (sauce)
- Chicken Stock Granules (sauce)
- Liquid from Dried Scallops (sauce)
- Minced Garlic (sauce)
- Cornstarch Solution (sauce)
Overview On How to Make Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs
- Prepare the tofu puffs. Make a cut on each of the tofu puff with a pair of scissors. Then turn the tofu puff skin inside out.
- Prepare the tofu puffs filling. Combine minced meat, fish paste and rehydrated dried scallop together and mix into a sticky paste.
- Place a big spoonful of filling and stuff it into the prepared tofu puffs. Press to seal the filling into the tofu puffs.
- Prepare hot oil and deep fry the stuffed tofu puffs till golden brown and crispy.
How to Serve Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puffs
This Crispy Stuffed Tofu Puff can be served as a finger food or as a snack with a chilli dipping sauce. It can also be served with a gravy as a main dish to be enjoyed during lunch or dinner.
Important Tips When Cooking This Dish
- Use fresh tofu puffs. Keep the tofu puffs in the freezer if you’re not using them. When want to make the stuffed tofu puffs, remove them from the freezer and leave to room temperature before using. You can also leave to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before use.
- Buy the cut of pork of your choice to mince it yourself. Best to use pork belly or shoulder loin with some fat to make the stuffing more tender.
- Combine all the mince meat, fish paste and rehydrated dried scallop thoroughly. Mix in one direction until it becomes sticky and bouncy in texture.
- When deep frying, fry the tofu puffs for 1-2 mins on each side until golden, crunchy and browned at the edges before turning. They will be almost ready when there are less bubbles in the oil.
Crispy Stuffed Fried Tofu Puff 香脆炸酿豆腐
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 12 tofu puffs
- 300 grams minced pork/meat
- 150 grams fish paste
- 30 grams dried scallop
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp chinese rice wine
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ⅞ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chicken stock granules
- ½ cup liquid (dried scallop)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cornstarch solution, 1 tbsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
- Have ready some fresh tofu puffs.
- Cut each tofu puff with an insertion using a pair of scissors. Using both hands, turn each tofu puffs skin inside out. Set aside while we prepare the filling.
- Have some meat, fish paste and dried scallop to make the filling.
- Rehydrate cleaned dried scallops by soaking in water for about 30 minutes , until they softened. Drained and retain the liquid for making the sauce. Using a fork, break the softened scallops into strips.
- Next, hand mince the meat. First cut the meat (partial frozen) into thin slices on both sides. Then rotate the meat and dice into small pieces. Lastly, chop to mince the meat and put into a mixing bowl.
- Prepare the seasonings to marinate the minced meat.
- Place the minced meat, rehydrated scallop strips and fish paste in a large mixing bowl. Add in all the seasonings. Using your hand, stir to combine everything and mix well in one direction.
- Mix till the meat mixture comes together in a paste.
- Add a teaspoonful of filling and stuff the filling into the tofu puffs. Smoothen the filling with the back of the spoon and press the tofu skin together to make sure the filling is intact in the tofu puffs. Repeat for all the prepared tofu puffs. Then we are ready to deep fry the stuffed tofu puffs.
- To deep fry the stuffed tofu puffs, first heat up oil in wok. If the oil is hot enough, a steady stream of bubbles will appear from the submerged end of the chopstick. We can then start to deep fry.
- Put in stuffed tofu puffs and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden, crunchy and browned at the edges before flipping. Dish out and drain on kitchen paper before serving.
- These crispy stuffed fried tofu puffs can be served on its own as a finger food.
- Taste great dipped in some sweet chilli sauce as well. So Enjoy!
Prepare Tofu Puffs:
Prepare Filling for Tofu Puffs:
Stuffing Tofu Puffs:
Deep Fry Stuffed Tofu Puffs:
- When deep frying, fry the tofu puffs for 2-4 mins on each side until golden, crunchy and browned at the edges before flipping.
- For a Pork-free version, substitute pork with chicken breast meat. Add some finely chopped chicken skin to make it less dry.