Simple Fish Porridge Teochew Style
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 500 g fish, fresh
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 slices ginger, julienned
- 2 litres water
- 1 teaspoon preserved vegetables, or Dong Cai
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fried shallots, or garlic crisps
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- 1 stalk coriander leaves, cut into sections
- Clean and sliced fish into pieces. Marinade with soy sauce or salt (to taste) and sesame oil.
- Bring water to a boil. Add in the cooked rice and fish. Continue to cook till boiling. Season with chicken stock, garlic oil and white pepper.
- Scoop the fish porridge into bowls and garnish with spring onions and coriander leaves. Serve with a dipping side of light soy sauce and sliced bird's eye chilli (cili padi).
To cook fish porridge teochew style:
Fry minced garlic in oil, reserved crisps and oil separately after frying.
SO … ENJOY!