Braised Sea Cucumber With Fish Maw (焖海参花胶) is a very simple dish that every Chinese family can relate and enjoy. It is not only flavourful but also has high nutritional value. Sea cucumber with its gelatinous texture is a delicacy in Chinese cuisines. It is believed to help to prevent aging. Fish maw and pork tendons, on the other hand are a good source of collagen as they improve blood circulation, complexion and heal wound after an operation. A perfect dish anytime … especially so during the festive new year.
Braised Sea Cucumber With Fish Maw 焖海参花胶
Tap or Hover to Adjust Servings
- 200 g pork, cut into small chunks, marinate with soy sauce
- 100 g shitake mushrooms, soaked till soft, cut into wedges
- 100 g dried fish maw, soaked 1 hour in water, cut to 2 inch length
- 150 g dried pork tendon, soaked 1 hour in water
- 300 g sea cucumber, cut into big wedges
- 50 g dried shrimp, soaked till soft, drained
- 2 stalks spring onion, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups hot water
- First heat up some oil in wok. Stir fry sea cucumber and spring onion, for about 3 minutes. Then set aside the sea cucumber for later use.
- In the same wok, fry the dried shrimp till fragrant and golden brown in colour.
- Then add in shitake mushrooms. Fry for a few minutes.
- Next add in the marinated chunks of pork.
- Give a stir to mix everything together.
- Add in the soaked pork tendon and fish maw.
- Then add in soy sauce.
- Followed by oyster sauce.
- Also some salt. Stir till mixture is well mixed.
- Then add in hot water.
- Add some dark caramel sauce for colour.
- And a few drops of sesame oil for flavour.
- Bring the gravy to a boil.
- Cover and allow to simmer ( low heat ) for 5 minutes.
- Then transfer all the mixture to a pressure cooker.
- Lastly, add in the sea cucumber.
- Cook in pressure cooker until done. Alternatively, allow all the ingredients including the sea cucumber to simmer in a pot for 45 minutes over medium-low heat.
- And we're done! The fish maw is braised over low heat to give it a slight chewy texture. The tender sea cucumber soaks up all the flavourful braising sauce. The pork tendon is soft such that it almost melt in your mouth.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice. The braising sauce is SO good over rice that you may not have enough of it. SO .. ENJOY!