These are actually chocolate muffins that get a healthy makeover. They are packed with fresh zucchini and fine cocoa powder. These muffins can be used for breakfast or dessert treats and they make a perfect on-the-go snack. Also a delicious way to sneak a bit of extra vegetables for the kids.
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, with skin (squeeze out excess moisture)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C ( 350 degree F ..
- Line a muffin tray with muffin liners.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together all the WET ingredients: eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Using a bigger bowl, mix together all the DRY ingredients: flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt.
- Add the WET ingredients to the DRY ingredients. Mix until JUST combined. Do not OVERMIX or the muffins will be tough.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, spoon the batter into muffin liners until 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin tray from the oven to cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Then remove muffins from the tray to cool completely on cooling rack. Store loosely covered.
To Bake Zucchini – Chocolate Muffins:
Besides the chocolately flavour and the soft, moist texture, the amazing thing about these muffins is that you’d have NO idea there were actually so much zucchini embedded in every single one of them.
These muffins are a surefire way to get your kids to eat their veggies. Make a perfect on-the-go snack for them in school too. Pack these in a lunchbox with some fruit and vegetable rolls. They certainly will enjoy digging into them in school.
To make a creative and wholesome lunchbox:
Place three dainty zucchini chocolate muffins ( notice in different colour muffin liners) in the centre of a lunchbox. Decorate with white chocolate chips and carrot florets. You can glue them with some jelly. Also some steamed baby carrots and celery for extra veggie servings and colours.
Place some banana and cucumber sushi rolls on a cupcake liner at one corner of the lunchbox. The recipe for the sandwich rolls is here.
SO …. ENJOY!