- 2 chicken whole legs (500g), skin removed, cut into pieces
- 28g butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon chopped bird’s eye chili (chili padi)
- 1 teaspoon chopped kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon tom yam paste
- 100 ml water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Mix chicken pieces with marinade. Leave to marinade for at least 1/2 hour.
- Mix tom yam with the water.
- Heat up a wok or non-stick pan. Then melt butter in pan. Add in chicken pieces and pan fry on low heat until golden brown.
- Add in chopped lemongrass, bird’s eye chili, kaffir lime leaf. Stir fry until aromatic.
- Then add in the tom yam solution and continue to fry until all the liquid has been absorbed and the chicken is dry. Dish up and serve warm with steamed rice.
First, remove skin from chicken whole legs. Then cut into bite size pieces and set aside. You can also choose to debone the chicken before cutting into pieces.
Prepare ingredients to marinade the cut chicken pieces.
Add the prepared ingredients into the chicken pieces in a bowl.
Mix the chicken with the ingredients and marinade for about 1/2 hour.
While chicken is left to marinade, finely chopped some lemongrass.
Also chopped some bird’s eye chillies.
And finely chopped some green lime kaffir leaves.
Mix the tom yam paste with the water.
To start cooking the butter chicken, melt some butter in a non-stick pan or wok.
Add in the marinated chicken pieces.
With low to medium heat, pan-fry the chicken until golden brown.
Then add in chopped lemongrass, bird’s eye chillies and fine kaffir leaves.
Stir fry until aromatic.
Add in the tom yam – water solution.
Continue to stir fry.
Fry until dry and the sauce has been absorbed into the chicken pieces.
Dish up onto serving platter.
Garnish with some chopped green kaffir leaves, lemongrass and red chillies. Serve with piping hot steamed rice.
AS ALWAYS …..ENJOY!